Paper wasps are one of several common stinging insects in Upstate New York. They are often found building nests around houses and in yards, and they can be rather dangerous with their stinging capabilities. Let’s take a closer look at the paper wasp.
Paper Wasp Facts:
- The name “paper wasp” stems from the paper-like material that they build their nests out of
- Common paper wasp nest locations include soffits, windows, shrubs and railings
- The diet of a paper wasp may include nectar, caterpillars, flies and other insects
- There are over 20 known paper wasp species in North America
- Paper wasps are semi-social and live in small colonies
You can help deter paper wasps by keeping shrubs trimmed, sealing cracks around your home, repairing torn window screens, keeping food covered when eating outside, and avoiding wearing strong fragrances outside.
If you do discover a paper wasp nest around your home, it is best to avoid the area and call your local pest control professional to properly treat and eliminate the nest. We are happy to help you, please contact us for an effective wasp extermination solution. We offer residential pest control and commercial pest control for the greater Capital District area including Albany, Schenectady, Saratoga and Rensselaer Counties.